Quote Originally Posted by carl888 View Post
My understanding is that Motul are sponsors of this section so I'll keep my reply, brief! In terms of engine oils:

I used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in all my cars on the street from 1992 (Was originally 15W-40) and for the very odd track day, the same type, but 10W-60. In 2009 Shell began to remove the ZDDP that was present in their Helix Ultra, I believe this was to preserve the API classification and therefore maintain the OEM recommendation from manufacturers such as Ferrari.

All my cars were designed when ZDDP was present in oil, and for this reason, I decided that I would use an oil that was 1. fully synthetic AND 2. had a minimum of 1,200ppm ZDDP. (ZDDP is a science in itself, but basically it's very good for flat tappet 2V engines that have beefy valve springs, such as 911s and 2V Ferraris because of it's shear properties, however it is poisonous to catalytic converters).

When my stock of Shell Helix Ultra was exhausted I came across the Penrite product after much research. They were the only manufacturers I could find that featured a full synthetic and incorporate ZDDP in Australia. The current product I use is the 10/10 racing in 5W-30 and 10W-40. These are 100% group 4 and group 5 synthetics. I have been a user of their engine oils for 5 years and have no issues. I also use other products by Penrite and Shell.
I'm sure all of Phil's customers are very grateful for your advice about oil. he's now admitted following your example and advice. took long enough.