So after the odyssey CCA thread i put up, some members commented that they knew someone who knew someone that owned one that failed on them prematurely and also having alot of emails from guys who bought one and wanted to know how to maintain their battery.

And with that in mind I thought I would bug the odyssey rep again and ask him some questions that could perhaps help everyone understand what goes on inside the battery when we mistreat them and what we can do to get the most out of them.

when i was speaking to sale rep/ warranty claims manager i got the feeling from him that many ppl buy the battery with the understanding that it is the holy grail of batteries and that all their electrical consumption needs would be fulfilled and they could go on living a care free life. Wrong. :P odyssey batteries are a great product and yes a little more expensive then say your no name car battery brand, but which awesome after market product (Cusco, HKS, Motec, Trust, Advan, Castrol )isn?t?

i think sometimes and in the early days ppl got lost when it came time to building a car , with so many good aftermarket products on the market it was hard not to just buy everything and just throw it on your car. But with the times changing many ppl are now thinking more about what their car will be built for, more than just a brand whore with a shopping list on side of car, and buying the correct odyssey battery is exactly the same. but thats another thread for another day.

back on topic , We service our cars every 5,000kms with the best oils that we can afford and install an oil cooler in effort to keep temps down, we buy expensive air filters to get that extra 2hp, $20 spark plug with rare metal tips for longer life, spend thousands on tuning and weekends detailing the paint jobs for it to just rain the next day. but for some reason most people forget to check the voltage on their battery ??

It might be just boring rectangle thing that sits there , but it?s the quite archiver of the bunch. call it a ninja if you will. it sits there and does its thing making sure everything gets enough power. but like anything that doesn't get some love especially a girl ninja. it will F**K you up when you least suspect it .

odyssey batteries isn?t just bling, it?s a serious performer that requires maintenance, like any other expensive performance enhancing product under the bonnet, your engine might be the heart , oil the blood , and the ecu the brains .. your battery is the nerve system . that breaks down and your paralyzed sitting in a wheelchair, pooing in your pants.

So spend 5 more extra mins and have a read of what odyssey gave me , it might just save your battery and your pocket and maybe blowing up you car (ignore the blowing up part :P .)

Ive also got some tech sheets for anyone who would like one let me know i can email them over to you. i cant host them because of the size limit
(its about 3mb).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to your enquiry on charging Odyssey batteries I have written some things below.

1. Where can I get an Odyssey Ultimizer charger like the ones on the Odyssey website?
The Odyssey battery chargers listed through the Odyssey website are for use in the US markets. These battery chargers are 115VAC and as we are 230VAC they will not work here. This is why we do not offer the Odyssey Ultimizer chargers in Australia.

2. What type of battery charger should I use?
It is recommended that the battery charger be a AGM (Absorb Glass Matt)approved 3 step charging profile to ensure a fast, complete and safe charge. As well, a 3 step charger will have a continuous trickle charge after the bulk phase and absorption phase are complete. The float charge phase keeps the battery topped up and ready to go when it is needed. These phases may be called something else in different makes of battery chargers but they all do the same thing. A three stage, 12V, 6 amp charger is recommended for the PC310, PC535, PC545, PC625, and PC680 in a single bank configuration (one battery). A three stage, 12V, 25 amp charger is recommended for the PC925, PC1200, PC1220, PC1230, PC1350, PC1400, PC1500, PC1700, and PC1750. You can also use the 25 amp charger on the batteries recommended for 6 amps (PC310, PC535, PC545, PC625, and PC680). A three stage, 12V, 50 amp charger is recommended for the PC2150 and PC2250. As well all of the batteries in the range can be charged with a 50 amp charger and I will explain in the next statement.

3. Why can I use the higher current chargers on the smaller Odyssey batteries?
The reason you can use the bigger chargers on the smaller batteries is due to the design of the Odyssey battery. The Odyssey is made of TPPL (thin plate pure lead) plates which means it has a very low internal resistance. The batteries will self current limit and as such they can handle high rates of current on charge. The effect will be the smaller batteries will charge must faster on the higher rated battery chargers. This will not damage the battery.

4. What brand of battery charger does Odyssey recommend in the Australian market?
The brand of charger is not as important as the float voltage and current rating of the charger. The most important factor in charging an Odyssey battery is to have the correct float voltage. If the battery is being used for a float application (such as a vehicle), it requires a float voltage of 13.5V to 13.8V to properly charge the battery. Float voltages below 13.5V are not acceptable and will void the warranty on the battery. The reason is that voltages below 13.5V do not have the proper potential to fully charge the battery and it will leave the battery less than fully charged and can lead to sulphation and severely reduce the life of the product. If the battery is used in a cyclic application (running a caravan refrigerator) where the battery is constantly drained and re-charged, the float voltage must be 14.4V to 14.8V to properly charge the battery. The reasons for this are the same as using a voltage of less than 14.4V to constantly re-charge can lead to the battery not obtaining full charge and lead to sulphation and life reduction. If you use a 3 stage charger you do not have to worry about the voltages (as long as it is a 12V charger) as the three stages of charging will cover these parameters for you. The other main factor is current. The battery can take high rates of current with no issues, however if you do not use enough current the same affect of low float voltage will apply and could damage the battery. A battery charger with 6 amps minimal is recommended and this will not be an issue. EnerSys sells battery chargers that we recommend for charging Odyssey batteries. Another brand of charger that can be used would be Ctek. Customers can also use a 2 stage (step) charger as long as the charger charges at the correct voltage and then goes into a trickle mode of operation. A 2 stage charger basically puts higher voltages at the beginning of the charge cycle and then steps down to 13.8V where it remains until put on charge again. The most important factor is the correct float voltage and a high enough current to properly charge the battery.

5. When should I use a battery charger?
The battery should be charged anytime after it has been discharged and this should be done at the earliest time that is possible. Examples:
1. If the battery is used for running a caravan refrigerator it should be charged fully once you are able to do so. If the battery is left in a discharged state for an extended time, it will sulphate, ruin the battery, and void the warranty. There are many cases where customers will charge the battery before going camping but do not charge it upon return. The battery sits for 2 months before being used again but it is too late as the battery has started sulphation and will not work properly. You must keep the battery fully charged when not in use and there must not be a load connected to it as it will drain it over time. You should keep any Odyssey battery that is not used often on a maintenance charger so that it is always charged and ready for use, as well always charge it after use.

2. If the battery is used in a vehicle that is driven everyday, the car alternator should be sufficient to keep the battery charged. If you have a vehicle that is not driven often or every couple of weeks or months, you should use a maintenance charger to keep it in prime condition. If the car has a stereo system or car alarm it will drain the battery over a period of time and cause sulphation. In these cases we recommend the use of a maintenance charger. This would apply to motorcycles, jet skis, dirt bikes, and other vehicles that may have long periods of inactivity.

6. Rule of Thumb:
Always re-charge the battery after discharge and check the voltage every 6 months to ensure it is fully charged. The use of a maintenance charger is always recommended as it will ensure you get the longest life possible from the product. If the battery is used infrequently, it is strongly recommended that you use a maintenance charger or disconnect from any loads, fully charge, and store on a shelf until the next use is required (boats, jet skis, vehicles).

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if I can assist you further. I have attached the Odyssey Application Manual which covers a lot of these areas. Please pay special attention to page 11 of the manual that deals with parasitic loads as this causes most failures of batteries because the customer is unaware of how these parasitic loads can affect their battery. Have a look at the manual and let me know if you have any further enquiries.