Page 1 of 309 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread: AE Wall Street - share market, stocks, options, financials, investments, etc

Seems we have a few clever economic minds in here, why dont we start a thread for share/investment advice to make it easier for us to buy Ferraris etc or MORE Ferraris as the case may be.

Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Seems we have a few clever economic minds in here, why dont we start a thread for share/investment advice to make it easier for us to buy Ferraris etc or MORE Ferraris as the case may be.
    because knowledge is power, if everyone has knowledge then no one has power lol.

We could start an AE Shares/Currencies siminar and sell tickets to would be investors to gain the knowledge that we (as a combined pool of knowledge and with different takes of market movements) have. Then we could be driving around in Dropheads and Zondas when the people we advise drive around in 3 series and C class's lol.

Atleast I can finally say my Economics degree is finally being used lol.

ahhh you know what I mean.

I hate shares, they are a bullshit comodity that mostly only benefits the provider. The number of people that loose money out of shares far outweighs the people that win, let alone win anything significant.
    Having said that you sometimes only need to win once..... same thing can be said for the roulette wheel where you can loose 100 times in a row, or you could win first go...

Quote Originally Posted by Kujotk View Post
    ahhh you know what I mean.
    I hate shares, they are a bullshit comodity that mostly only benefits the provider. The number of people that loose money out of shares far outweighs the people that win, let alone win anything significant.
    Having said that you sometimes only need to win once..... same thing can be said for the roulette wheel where you can loose 100 times in a row, or you could win first go...
    Agree about shares once I was in on a float once of a mining company, got them at .01c sold them at 60c that was good but even the guy who got me in there now says the share market is just a maniplated con job.

Agree about shares once I was in on a float once of a mining company, got them at .01c sold them at 60c that was good but even the guy who got me in there now says the share market is just a maniplated con job.
    I tend to agrre with you there. Markets that are strongly influenced by sentiment are prone to manipulation by those who stand to make the most money from a change in sentiment. Take for example the guys/ companies who used derivatives/ contracts for difference to derail some relaitvely good compaines in 2008. Even today there is much manipulation of the prices of shares due to concocted stories of the relative success of the latst project by company ABC.

Seems the best way to make money is to buy real estate and just don't sell it, inflation takes care of the rest.

You need a good income to support it but apart from that the years take care of the rest.

Mate of mine is worth over $20M doing just that, never sells anything.

You don't make money with a big income alone, it's best use is to support assets that will appreciate in time.

Seems the best way to make money is to buy real estate and just don't sell it, inflation takes care of the rest.

You need a good income to support it but apart from that the years take care of the rest.

Mate of mine is worth over $20M doing just that, never sells anything.

You don't make money with a big income alone, it's best use is to support assets that will appreciate in time.
    Real Estate has been a tried and tested method of accumulating wealth.

The income part is the limiting factor for most people. A combination of property trading and holding as much as you can is a good way to support the habit if you dont have the income potential elsewhere.

There's other ways of course but real estate is behind almost everyones wealth.

There's other ways of course but real estate is behind almost everyones wealth.
    ......could always be a runner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr View Post
    ......could always be a runner
    Thats still just income :scratchchin:

your friend with 20 mill in real estate, I assume he needs a big income to finance the loans etc

It occurs to me that his net worth might be 20 million but if he never sells any of his real estate how is he spending any money on fun stuff for himself?

I dont see the point of accumulating massive wealth for when I retire (If I live that long), by then you can enjoy boring crap like organised bus tours or a cruise or something, and get a new volvo with low entry and seats that help you out

Quote Originally Posted by futurism View Post
    your friend with 20 mill in real estate, I assume he needs a big income to finance the loans etc
    It occurs to me that his net worth might be 20 million but if he never sells any of his real estate how is he spending any money on fun stuff for himself?
    I dont see the point of accumulating massive wealth for when I retire (If I live that long), by then you can enjoy boring crap like organised bus tours or a cruise or something, and get a new volvo with low entry and seats that help you out
    He's had a lot of it for 20 years or so , he has a a big income just sold some of it and bought a 911 Turbo with part of the deposit, he also has an SL Merc an E Class, a Discovery and cars for the kids, he enjoys himself.

cool
    I do see a lot of people my age who are investment mad and never spend anything
    I dont understand that, perhaps they have kids etc and thats their focus

Quote Originally Posted by futurism View Post
    cool
    I do see a lot of people my age who are investment mad and never spend anything
    I dont understand that, perhaps they have kids etc and thats their focus
    It's very difficult to get started as it involves sacrifice, a colleague once said to me , a smart man owns his house and leases his car not the other way round.

If you're young just get something , anything, make sure the rent will mostly cover it and just put it away and forget it, don't get tempted to sell, just forget about it and one day you'll dig up a chest full of gold.

(there might be a crash coming so hang on for 6 to 8 months)

There is always a crash comming, that is why we call it an economic cycle lol. If you hold on to it long enough to have to dig it up, a shorterm crash won't affect buying a property today as it is inevitable that the market will recover, just as it will then crash again, and recover again...... Untill the Governments of the world realise that capitalism isn't as good as it really is and take controll of all the finances of the country to something like china is at the moment with limmited free unregulated enterprise and decision.

Also I don't agree with the leasing of the cars statement, it works for some but on the whole it doesn't. Renting a property is a fail in my opinion unless you are renting it to create revenue, property mortgage is probably the only "good debt" if you can call debt good. You can use that mortgaged property to gain other property and before you know it you have 10 properties, assuming the market keeps going up.... then again it can all go sour and you loose everything and live on the streets. No risk no gain.

Leasing a car is only really worth it if it creates revenue for you, or you pay a shit load of tax (if you pay a shit load of tax then you might as well just buy a 1 year old car and you get the same savings as if you leased it on the whole, this just a broard statement that relates to most people, as I said for a minority leasing a car for private use is the smarter thing to do).

He was a real estate agent, leasing a car was a tax deduction but he did note that most people rent their house and own their car and it should be the other way round, unless you plan to live in your car when you retire.

He was a real estate agent, leasing a car was a tax deduction but he did note that most people rent their house and own their car and it should be the other way round, unless you plan to live in your car when you retire.
    Unless your car and your house cost the same, if you were just starting out, that makes no sense to me as not many people would be able to just own their house. My mind is more like, buy a car you can pay cash for then use your incoming money to make yourself more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulstar View Post
    Unless your car and your house cost the same, if you were just starting out, that makes no sense to me as not many people would be able to just own their house. My mind is more like, buy a car you can pay cash for then use your incoming money to make yourself more money.
    Clarification - not owned as in no mortgage but owned as in paying off a house instead of renting - and using the cash you would have used buy a car toward that house.

Theory, not always possible but correct in theory.

a smart man buys what ever property he can as close to the inner city as he can afford, lives in it for 12 months to avoid capital gains and so he can get first home owners grants, then buys a cheap car and uses that for the first 10 years, moves back home, rents the property, keeps working to buy another investment ect.... he shouldn't even look at leasing cars unless his circumstances favor that decision.

Unless your tax offsets the car in a significant way, you are getting screwed by the lease interest by paying an over inflated car price, then you are also paying for the depreciation of the car (unless you give the car back and don't pay the residual)

having said that if you lease you can use the $50k you haven't paid for the car upfront to invest in something else which you couldn't do if you purchased your car outright. So many different scenarios and individual circumstances that you can not say it is the best to own your property and lease your car, depends on the individual.

I know too many people my age and younger, sometimes a little older that go out and lease a $60k car that ends up costing them $80k after 3 years, but their income is in the $50k area :doh:
    and they then complain that the banks arn't giving them home loans. That is an example of why leasing cars fails, there are examples of where leasing a car is a win.

Clarification - not owned as in no mortgage but owned as in paying off a house instead of renting - and using the cash you would have used buy a car toward that house.

Theory, not always possible but correct in theory.
    ok I get you now

yup generally speaking that is the better way to do it if funds arn't on your side.

Page 1 of 309 123451151101 ... LastLast

Thread Information