Thread: Post your NULON Q & A here!

Please post all your questions for NULON additive products here.

is it true that if you make love to your girl while she's wearing nulons, it makes her toes curl?

:tilt:

ah, damn, that's nylons isn't it. :scratchchin:

well we already know the octane addies don't work, ive never experienced any difference with the other stuff either like injector cleaner ect... but my dad recons he has found they used to work in the old days with carby cars...

we DO do we??

I'm fairly happy with some addiitves being ok.

If you get caught out with fuel supply, an additive can bring up the quality enough to prevent pinging/detonation.

All cars respond differently depending on many many things. Some are very sensiitve.

for example.. 550 Maranello are VERY sensitive to fuel quality. you can get death rattles from the engine if you get poor fuel. Boost the octane and it's all good again.

true does depend on the cars, it works marginally on some cars, and is expensive. I'm leaning towards adding toluene by it self that costs nothing compared to the ready to buy "special" mixtures off the shelf from repco and supercheap autos, and you can play around with the levels and a piggy back ecu to find the sweet spot. The sweet spot in my jap car is 2 and a half bottles of additive (can't remeber which brand but @ about $20 -$25 each it isn't worth it) or under 50cents of toluene that does the same job.

But that's in the skyline, only car I have that can read ping/detonation while it's driving

Edit: just googled, looks like i'm not the only one who thinks most of the pre packaged octane boosters don't work, on my car it doesn't make a difference, the others don't need it. But of all people you would know a 550 more than most others. In my own insignificant experience toluene is the way to go.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/for...html&st=20

Both your Maserati and the 360 read ping/detonation as you drive. The 360 has 4 knock sensors, I think the Maser has 2, or maybe 4.

Here are some of the questions and answers that have been asked across the forums. They may not be from here but they make a great reference for the members.

Please post any question that I may have missed.

Rob.

QUESTIONS

AE86
    This might be a stupid question but.....
    G70 gearbox/diff treatment - is there any benefits to using more than the recommended amount in my gearbox? Or will it cause damage?
    I really like the stuff and definitely think I notice the difference in feel after using it.

There is no substantial benefit in using more G70. The recommended quantity of G70 treatment is to ensure the gear oil in the gearbox is not diluted and the existing gear oil?s physical properties are not altered or changed.

ANTILAG
    Ok then.
    Long story short, i installed an r33 gearbox into my r34 which was working perfectly fine in the car it came out of but once it was installed into my car with brand new VMX80 gear oil it was crunching 2nd gear almost every time i shifted into it and the rest of the gears were kinda notchy. This was mostly wen it was cold, once it warmed up it was fine.
    So i went back to the shop i buy most of my parts/fluids from and i asked for their advice in regard to the problem. More suitable weight box oil etc.
    Long and behold they told me to squeeze in some NULON easy shift additive as a cheaper fix. So i did that and it actually made the gearbox alot worse, 3rd gear started to crunch aswell and no matter what temp it was, 2nd gear would be crunchy.
    So i raged and drained that oil, listened to my old man and put in some valvoline supersynth 75w90 and problem fixed, cold AND hot.
    Hmmm...... product didnt work for me.. why?

Nissan recommend an API GL-4 specification gear oil for theses gearboxes. The use of a GL-5 specification oil (Valvoline Super Syn 75W-90) is not recommended as it will affect the synchros? over a period on time. The working of a Synchromesh is affected by the viscosity of the oil. Notchy gear changes are more noticeable on start up when the gear oil is cold and reduces when the gear oil is warmed up. This is much more evident during the winter period as with the very low ambient temperature. Theoretically using a heavy SAE 90 (75W-90) would make the gear change problem worse during colder periods.
    G70 Gearbox and Diff Treatment is a blend of PTFE and friction reducing additives which help with gear change issues.A notchy or crunching 2nd gear is common in most imported vehicle as the 2nd and 3 rd gear synchro is the most used and abused gears. Using Synthetic GL-4 gear oil (75W-85) plus G70 can reduce these types of issue but if the synchro is worn it will not eliminate or fix gear shift issues.

AUSROTARY
    Ive been a user of penrite for many years and very happy with it, but where i get my stuff for services stopped selling it due to drama's with suppier etc and now stock NULON oils...... never knew they did oil just thought it was aditives (aparently 2 years ago they started making oil...... and yes its made in Australia also)

anyways the reason to my post is i can tell straight away if an oil is inferior by the way the car drives (its a VT bombidore) so ive put the NULON in and gave it a run and yes im VERY happy with the performance of it and not only that its about $10-15 cheeper than the penrite plus it has the NULON additives already in the oil aswell.

havent tried it in my Rotor yet but as soon as thats on the road NULON is what ill be using!!!!!

We at Nulon thank you for your positive feedback.

With reference to Rotary, please be aware Mazda do not recommend the use of synthetic engine oils in their Rotary engines. There is lots of information on this subject which make for very interesting reading.

FORDMODS
    welcome to fordmods and it will be handy to have someone on hand to answer all nulon based question
    cheers, bear

JDMST:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by azn_envazn
    i love the pro strength booster, but is there anyway of getting them cheaper
    because i won it at a dyno comp, and i need/want more
    Will check with Nulon about bulk buy options.

Nulon Pro-Strength Octane Booster is Manufactured in 500 ml and 4 Litre containers. Unfortunately we only sell through Auto Retailers.

OZHONDA
    Originally Posted by noobcake
    Is it true your octane boosters damage the valves and seals?
    They definitely do not damage engine components, Nulon are about performance and protection! But will pass your concerns onto the Technical support team for a greater understanding of the product.

Nulon Pro-Strength Octane Booster does not affect or damage valves and/or seals. These types of products are design to increase the octane level and boost performance.

VWGOLF
    Originally Posted by RKFChan
    Just wondering what the testing procedure is for additives such as Injector cleaners and the 'Engine treatment' additives...always heard about these but haven't known anyone who's actually tried them..are there any major differences in general that can be felt after using these (I understand this will vary car to car).

Thanks
    Thanks, thats a great question. Will pass this onto Nulon Technical support team and look forward to hearing what they have to say!

There are a series of tests that are conducted. These are controlled test and test method outlined by the American Society of Testing and Materials and OEM?s. There is hundreds and thousands of hours of testing conducted but a brief outline is as follows. Tests are conducted on different types of engine, manufacturers, model and engine capacities. The final out come is to measure the cleanliness of injectors and deposits. These are described as Intake Valve Deposits (IVD) and Petrol Fuel Injector (PFI) keep clean test, Intake Valve Deposits (IVD) and Petrol Fuel Injector (PFI) cleanup test and Chamber Deposit Cleanup (CCD) both keep clean and cleanup. In a summary how well the products cleans and how well it keeps cleaning.

Frank is the Nulon Technical Co-ordinator and answers your questions:

My background is mechanical engineering with over 16 years experience in automotive and industrial
    oil Research and Development, along with product testing in the petrochemical industry. Prior to joining
    Nulon I have worked in Caltex (Chevron) and National Food in various positions in the technical departments.
    I personally love high performance turbo charged cars and old school V8 muscle cars. I am currently rebuilding
    a Datsun 1200 ute and in my spare time race my go-karts on the weekends.

NULON Questions answered..

Q. "With reference to Rotary, please be aware Mazda do not recommend the use of synthetic engine oils in their Rotary engines. There is lots of information on this subject which make for very interesting reading." thats only cos the synthetic doesnt burn well? so if you are running premix in the fuel then its alright to use it or is there more to the situation??
    A. That is correct, Mazda do not recommend the use of synthetic oil. The early generation synthetic oils caused seal elastomer problems which resulted in seal swell and failure. Modern synthetic engine oils have resolved these issues. Another concern is how well particular synthetic oils mix with the fuel when injected into the engine to lubricate the apex seals including the cleanliness after oils burns off. New technology Synthetic engine oils have resolved these problems but as the manufacturer Mazda, does not recommend synthetic engine oils we have to align our recommendations accordingly.

Q. Why is it I can't ever get a 5L contrainer size of the right gear box oil at supercheap or any other store that carries it. Especially when sales are on - THAT SUCKS. I think it was the synthetic 75-90 was wha'ts needed for a FWD combined transmission with LSD. but - not and I ain't going to buy 4 or 5 small bottles either?
    I tried both Lakemba and Bankstown Supercheap Auto- Nothing.
    A. Nulon Gear oils are manufactured in 1 litre and 4 litre size containers. Auto part suppliers do have these sizes but may not have every product in stock.

Q. May have been answered in the earlier post but WAY TOO wordy.
    I am running a K50 manual gearbox with 80w/90w oil, in a Melbourne winter. Very notchy cold! This oil is useless in sub 10 degree weather.
    Is there an additive that i can use in a lighter gearbox oil that will act like 80/90 hot? This will save me changing oil every 6 months!
    A. The use of a semi-synthetic or synthetic 75W-90 would help with the cold temperature gear changes. The 75W would handle much colder temperatures. The addition of G70 Gearbox and Diff Treatment will help with gear change issues including helping with worn or crunching gears.

Hey guys i have been using Nulon since it came out and love the gear. My R33 runs Smooth shift gearbox oil 5w40 syn oil i can say that i have tried a lot of different oil in the car and the Nulon is the best. makes the most power with it and runs the smoothest.

I recently put in the 80,000km treatment and i can say that its the best thing i have done the engine is running the best it every has and been 2 3 track days one yesterday drifting all day and used no oil no smoke and performed excellent all day

Thanks Nulon!!!!!!!

Thread Information