Greg Murphy wins V8 Supercar Challenge drag race at Castrol EDGE Winternationals

Tuesday, 15 June 2010 - Posted by Brenton Edwards

Castrol Racing?s Greg Murphy wins Supercar Challenge 2-1 at action-packed Castrol EDGE V8 Winternationals
Four-time Bathurst winner, Holden?s Greg Murphy has taken out the V8 Supercar Challenge at the Castrol EDGE Winternationals, Australia?s biggest drag race, at Willowbank Raceway, near Brisbane.
Murphy defeated Paul Morris Motorsport?s team-mate, Russell Ingall 2-1 in the best of three match race.
Ingall had low elapsed time of the event with an 11.0 second run, while Murphy set the track V8 Supercar speed record at over 135 mph.
?What a great experience, the Castrol EDGE V8 Supercar Challenge was a lot of fun!? Murphy said.
?Russell and I split the wins in the first two races, so it was all on the line in the final.
?I don''t think our reactions in the decider were anything to write about and my Castrol EDGE Commodore had a lot of wheel spin, but I was able to get the win light, which I''m pretty happy about - it also means I''ve got bragging rights in our team, at least until Darwin next weekend!?
Never one to let a moment go by, Ingall was quick to suggest that allowing Murphy the win was the least he could do following his team-mate?s rough start to the V8 Supercar season.
?Today was great fun, we were a bit worried about too much grip being the biggest issue as the track is so tacky ? that is the first time you will hear about a v8 driver complaining about too much grip!? Ingall said.
?We got off to a good start though and ?Murph? and I had a few close runs ? since he has had not a great start to the year though I thought I would let him win it ? just call me a nice guy,? added a laughing Ingall.
?It was great to get out here today, the atmosphere and the crowd and the facility is just amazing and the racing from the guys here is just phenomenal ? the times are so close and it is just intense ? I got the chance to stand behind an 8000hp Top Fuel dragster and I can tell you, I don?t? get scared too easy but that made me jump ? those guys are certainly brave!?
Murphy and Ingall return to the track in their Holden Commodore V8 Supercars later this week at the SKYCITY Triple Crown at Darwin?s Hidden Valley Raceway for the seventh round of the 2010 V8 Supercar Championship Series.