Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast
Results 761 to 780 of 1465

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #761
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by M500 View Post
    We are in a similar situation currently, I have a similar sized team and may be faced with the same tough decisions to make. How did they take the news of reduced hours/ pay or being stood down? With the stand down staff, how have you done that without risking backlash?
    Every one of my staff sent me a text, they understood the gravity of the situation, all were supportive of me, my decision to make and wanted to continue with me post apocalypse. The stand down hasn't occurred yet, I am waiting for the government mandate to restrict our services which I have been told will occur imminently. Our professional regulator has been silent throughout this crisis which has angered my profession. I fear fair work repercussions should I stand down prior to the mandate being issued.

    I also fear for the health of my staff as we are at the coal face of the virus. It could literally be 30cm away from our faces without us knowing it. I ask me staff every morning how they are feeling, I ask them one on one if they are scared and wish to sit to out. This virus can kill, my fear is real. but my desire to help the community is also real.
    Tooth hurty

  2. #762
    Photo Taker dkabab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15,530
    What’s everyone’s predictions for when everything will come back to some normality.

    By normality I mean shops open and trading no restrictions on business etc.

  3. #763
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabab View Post
    What’s everyone’s predictions for when everything will come back to some normality.

    By normality I mean shops open and trading no restrictions on business etc.
    High crime and poverty
    Tooth hurty

  4. #764
    Senior Member looney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5,517
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabab View Post
    What’s everyone’s predictions for when everything will come back to some normality.

    By normality I mean shops open and trading no restrictions on business etc.

    Honestly I feel this is likely to drag out for 3-6 months pretty cofortably

    Because nobody is talking about a second or third wave at this point. And they need to think about that. Rush back too early and we're back to square 1. USA trying to get back by easter seems like madness
    Last edited by looney; 27-03-20 at 10:06 PM.

  5. #765
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
    Honestly I feel this is likely to drag out for 3-6 months pretty cofortably

    Because nobody is talking about a second or third wave at this point. And they need to think about that. Rush back too early and we're back to square 1. USA trying to get back by easter seems like madness

    Trump is just trying to talk up the economy and peoples hopes, not a bad strategy.
    We are in for a depression, it doesn't feel like it yet but all the elements are there, all you can do is batten down the hatches and make sure your security at home is adequate and hope for the best.
    It almost feels like a bad dream, I think until it really hits home , someone you know gets it or if you get it , it somehow doesn't seem real.
    Tommy Gunna

  6. #766
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    There's more news every hour, here's the latest that rings true -

    https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-...OXfreanBHWlcGs
    Tommy Gunna

  7. #767
    Administrator mondi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    20,086
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabab View Post
    What’s everyone’s predictions for when everything will come back to some normality.

    By normality I mean shops open and trading no restrictions on business etc.
    If we shut the whole place down totally, make everyone self isolate for 3 to 4 weeks and bring in the ADF to do food and supply drops, the modelling has shown that it will stop this thing in it's tracks.

    Then things can slowly go back to some sort of normal but Australia would have to shut it's borders for at least 6 months. We would have to become our own little eco-system.

    I don't thing it will ever go back to the way it was, I firmly believe that this is a reset and that we are damned lucky it won't cause the end of our civilisation.
    Resident Bogan

  8. #768
    Senior Member ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,336
    I think it is interesting the different approaches NZ and Australia are taking.

    NZ is basically saying we'll kill the bastard. Stay at home for 4 weeks. If you have it, it either kills you or you kill it and you can only pass it to people in your home and then the same applies to them. Once this happens the virus has nowhere to live. Then limit or shut down the country until a vaccine becomes available. Problem with this is that it is very easy to flare up again as limited people have immunity.

    Australia appears to be (but isn't saying so) going down the herd immunity route, where a minimum of 60% of the population get infected and recover building up an immunity therefore not being able to pass it on. We need to get to this point anyway either through infection or a vaccine. The governments are still trying to limit the spread to keep the medical situation manageable through closures of certain things but are keeping some things open such as schools and malls etc. which seems weird if they're not going down this path.
    Lives in a Metro Tangerine

  9. #769
    Senior Member ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,336
    Thought this was interesting too:

    * The virus is not a living organism, but a protein molecule (DNA) covered by a protective layer of lipid (fat), which, when absorbed by the cells of the ocular, nasal or buccal mucosa, changes their genetic code (mutation) and converts them into aggressor and multiplier cells.

    * Since the virus is not a living organism but a protein molecule, it is not killed, but decays on its own. The disintegration time depends on the temperature, humidity and type of material where it lies.

    * The virus is very fragile; the only thing that protects it is a thin outer layer of fat. That is why any soap or detergent is the best remedy, because the foam CUTS the FAT (that is why you have to rub so much: for 20 seconds or more, to make a lot of foam). By dissolving the fat layer, the protein molecule disperses and breaks down on its own.
    Lives in a Metro Tangerine

  10. #770
    Administrator mondi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    20,086
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    I think it is interesting the different approaches NZ and Australia are taking.

    NZ is basically saying we'll kill the bastard. Stay at home for 4 weeks. If you have it, it either kills you or you kill it and you can only pass it to people in your home and then the same applies to them. Once this happens the virus has nowhere to live. Then limit or shut down the country until a vaccine becomes available. Problem with this is that it is very easy to flare up again as limited people have immunity.

    Australia appears to be (but isn't saying so) going down the herd immunity route, where a minimum of 60% of the population get infected and recover building up an immunity therefore not being able to pass it on. We need to get to this point anyway either through infection or a vaccine. The governments are still trying to limit the spread to keep the medical situation manageable through closures of certain things but are keeping some things open such as schools and malls etc. which seems weird if they're not going down this path.
    But the herd theory may not work in this case, researchers are saying they have seen cases of people getting this things again and just as sereve.

    I'm not sure if the information is correct but this virus has mutated twice already and that makes putting a vaccine together a little bit harder.
    Resident Bogan

  11. #771
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    I think it is interesting the different approaches NZ and Australia are taking.

    NZ is basically saying we'll kill the bastard. Stay at home for 4 weeks. If you have it, it either kills you or you kill it and you can only pass it to people in your home and then the same applies to them. Once this happens the virus has nowhere to live. Then limit or shut down the country until a vaccine becomes available. Problem with this is that it is very easy to flare up again as limited people have immunity.

    Australia appears to be (but isn't saying so) going down the herd immunity route, where a minimum of 60% of the population get infected and recover building up an immunity therefore not being able to pass it on. We need to get to this point anyway either through infection or a vaccine. The governments are still trying to limit the spread to keep the medical situation manageable through closures of certain things but are keeping some things open such as schools and malls etc. which seems weird if they're not going down this path.

    immunity is not a sure fire thing, there are now 2 strains of corona. Plus the fear of further mutation. I think NZ has taken better approach, harder and earlier and more decisive.
    Tooth hurty

  12. #772
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by mondi View Post
    But the herd theory may not work in this case, researchers are saying they have seen cases of people getting this things again and just as sereve.

    I'm not sure if the information is correct but this virus has mutated twice already and that makes putting a vaccine together a little bit harder.

    correct, but both have the same external features of a hook and a cleaver - Im not a virologist or immunologist but that may help with the vaccine.
    Tooth hurty

  13. #773
    Senior Member ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,336
    Quote Originally Posted by mondi View Post
    But the herd theory may not work in this case, researchers are saying they have seen cases of people getting this things again and just as sereve.

    I'm not sure if the information is correct but this virus has mutated twice already and that makes putting a vaccine together a little bit harder.
    I heard about those stories too but apparently the theory is that they never got rid of it in the first place and it was still present in their lungs. Or something.
    Lives in a Metro Tangerine

  14. #774
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabab View Post
    What’s everyone’s predictions for when everything will come back to some normality.

    By normality I mean shops open and trading no restrictions on business etc.
    I went into the office the other day to pick up my work PC, some spare monitors, and some other bits and pieces I'll need. I was speaking to Dad (from a distance) and we both thought that I might be working from home full time until his birthday in September. So we're planning on six months until we're back to normal.

    But who knows? We might never go back to normal...

  15. #775
    Senior Member M500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,531
    Quote Originally Posted by amgsl55 View Post
    Every one of my staff sent me a text, they understood the gravity of the situation, all were supportive of me, my decision to make and wanted to continue with me post apocalypse. The stand down hasn't occurred yet, I am waiting for the government mandate to restrict our services which I have been told will occur imminently. Our professional regulator has been silent throughout this crisis which has angered my profession. I fear fair work repercussions should I stand down prior to the mandate being issued.

    I also fear for the health of my staff as we are at the coal face of the virus. It could literally be 30cm away from our faces without us knowing it. I ask me staff every morning how they are feeling, I ask them one on one if they are scared and wish to sit to out. This virus can kill, my fear is real. but my desire to help the community is also real.
    Thanks for that, I too am waiting for the government mandate to ease the potential fair work repercussions. It is frustrating currently as we all know it is untenable to continue to operate (both from an economic and health perspective) however the government is paralysed between these two issues.

    Best of luck navigating through this.

  16. #776
    Senior Member ACP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,336
    I was listening to a lady on the radio from Geelong who is a scientist of some sort based in Singapore and is working on the virus. She was saying the virus behaves in a similar way to the other Coronaviruses and is of the view that there is no reason that we wouldn't be able to build a natural immunity, or at least they had not found anything yet that would suggest that we couldn't, but doesn't mean that they won't.

    The main thing that they cannot work out is its highly infectious nature. No one has been able to nail this yet.

    She was asked if it could have been man-made. She said that theoretically on paper it could be, but in practice it would be virtually impossible and in her view it is definitely not man-made.
    Lives in a Metro Tangerine

  17. #777
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    The infectious nature is because of its latch protein which immediately grabs onto a mucosal protein.
    Tooth hurty

  18. #778
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by ACP View Post
    I think it is interesting the different approaches NZ and Australia are taking.

    NZ is basically saying we'll kill the bastard. Stay at home for 4 weeks. If you have it, it either kills you or you kill it and you can only pass it to people in your home and then the same applies to them. Once this happens the virus has nowhere to live. Then limit or shut down the country until a vaccine becomes available. Problem with this is that it is very easy to flare up again as limited people have immunity.

    Australia appears to be (but isn't saying so) going down the herd immunity route, where a minimum of 60% of the population get infected and recover building up an immunity therefore not being able to pass it on. We need to get to this point anyway either through infection or a vaccine. The governments are still trying to limit the spread to keep the medical situation manageable through closures of certain things but are keeping some things open such as schools and malls etc. which seems weird if they're not going down this path.
    I'm personally of the view that NZ are taking a better approach right now - swift, decisive, not delaying the inevitable - but what will be equally interesting is to see how businesses in NZ recover compared to businesses in AUS, particularly in hospitality and retail. That's when we'll ultimately be able to make the call over which strategy was less damaging.

    I'm also unsure as to why we are keeping shopping malls and retail stores open, given there's nobody going to them. From a Gov view, what is the economics behind that? Seems to be setting up the retail sector for failure. Some stores apparently aren't closing due to fear of rent payments or Fair Work employee implications, but surely the longer they stay open now the harder it will be for them to return once all this is over? Why haven't the Gov shut them already?

    Many retailers (Myer, Oroton, Cotton On, Kathmandu in the last 24 hours alone) are already making the decision to close now rather than wait and bleed more money.
    Last edited by TJB; 28-03-20 at 12:27 AM.

  19. #779
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I'm personally of the view that NZ are taking a better approach right now - swift, decisive, not delaying the inevitable - but what will be equally interesting is to see how businesses in NZ recover compared to businesses in AUS, particularly in hospitality and retail. That's when we'll ultimately be able to make the call over which strategy was less damaging.

    I'm also unsure as to why we are keeping shopping malls and retail stores open, given there's nobody going to them. From a Gov view, what is the economics behind that? Seems to be setting up the retail sector for failure. Some stores apparently aren't closing due to fear of rent payments or Fair Work employee implications, but surely the longer they stay open now the harder it will be for them to return once all this is over? Why haven't the Gov shut them already?

    Many retailers (Myer, Oroton, Cotton On, Kathmandu in the last 24 hours alone) are already making the decision to close now rather than wait and bleed more money.
    retail can shift to online presence only. They have that luxury.
    Tooth hurty

  20. #780
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    I'm personally of the view that NZ are taking a better approach right now - swift, decisive, not delaying the inevitable - but what will be equally interesting is to see how businesses in NZ recover compared to businesses in AUS, particularly in hospitality and retail. That's when we'll ultimately be able to make the call over which strategy was less damaging.

    I'm also unsure as to why we are keeping shopping malls and retail stores open, given there's nobody going to them. From a Gov view, what is the economics behind that? Seems to be setting up the retail sector for failure. Some stores apparently aren't closing due to fear of rent payments or Fair Work employee implications, but surely the longer they stay open now the harder it will be for them to return once all this is over? Why haven't the Gov shut them already?

    Many retailers (Myer, Oroton, Cotton On, Kathmandu in the last 24 hours alone) are already making the decision to close now rather than wait and bleed more money.
    If the Govt closes them they may have to pay compensation, same with hairdressers.
    Tommy Gunna

Page 39 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2935363738394041424349 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •