Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast
Results 461 to 480 of 1465

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #461
    Senior Member Fil-Ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor Man View Post

    He is letting the state governors deal with their own states which is fair.
    I think that's fine for states like California or NYC for example but plenty of states are totally useless. The politics over this is in the USA is a joke. It began with the the non-existent testing initially, the FDA not allowing states to test with out an approved kit, then the CDC wanting to do all the testing.

    The USA is Italy 2.0 and they don't even know it yet.

  2. #462
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    Quote Originally Posted by amgsl55 View Post
    good on him, the media is good at sensationalising above and beyond the reporting of news
    I have to agree, the media get away with murder he has many faults but his strengths are his candor and willingness to cut through the crap and say what many are thinking.
    Tommy Gunna

  3. #463
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor Man View Post
    Whether you like him or not.

    He is genuinely concerned and trying hard.

    He is keeping sentiment positive hence why he smashed that CNBC reporter yesterday.

    And he makes side cracks like the "Kung Flu" which I like.
    "Kung Flu" good to remind China this did not originate in the US as they are trying argue.
    I've got nothing against the Chinese people and I could eat their food exclusively but there are elements or some that aren't a good fit for Australia.
    Less said the better because you just get labeled a racist, when that happens I just ask them for an update on the ONE MILLION Muslims in re education centers surrounded by razor wire.
    Silence is the response every time.
    OK I'll shut up ...
    Tommy Gunna

  4. #464
    Senior Member JBO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    8,310
    Quote Originally Posted by AE-DC View Post
    The mainstream news exists to give mediocre people justification for their mediocrity.

    it's not your fault you didn't go out and chase your goals, it was the economy/the crime rate/the current government/etc.
    This is one of the best comments ever made on this forum.

  5. #465
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by dkabab View Post
    My wife’s step mother recently (2 months ago) had lung cancer surgery, is approx 70ish and is not self isolating, says she’ll be fine. I can’t think of a more perfect storm coming her way. I had a go at her tonight and I think she’s starting to get the seriousness of it all.

    I'm in a similar boat. Fiance's Dad spent two months in a coma last year due to complications from a pushbike crash. The reason for riding? His lungs are fucked (probably due to the Vietnam war) and he's on the transplant list and had to maintain a basic level of fitness in order to qualify for the transplant.

    Even though now at home he's still in physical rehab (he's only just started walking more or less independently) they're still going out for brunches and her Mum is still going to the gym. It's almost like she wants to kill him. I don't understand how they can be so complacent.

    On the other hand, I'm perfectly fit and well but I haven't left the house in a week. What's the point? I have everything I need here and figure that staying at home is doing the right thing for me and anybody else I might come into contact with.
    Last edited by Steve1; 22-03-20 at 12:20 AM.

  6. #466
    Senior Member Condor Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by Fil-Ski View Post
    I think that's fine for states like California or NYC for example but plenty of states are totally useless. The politics over this is in the USA is a joke. It began with the the non-existent testing initially, the FDA not allowing states to test with out an approved kit, then the CDC wanting to do all the testing.

    The USA is Italy 2.0 and they don't even know it yet.
    I am not sure that I agree with this based on the following;

    1) On the 17th of March Italy had circa 26,000 cases and 2,500 deaths. USA now has 26,000 and 300 deaths.

    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

    2) Italy was testing early so that had way more reported cases. USA has no testing so we might already be at 1m people that have it and a very low death rate.

    3) Italians especially in Bergamo got an almost 100% powerful strain direct from one Chinese family who had returned from Wuhan to their house in Bergamo. I know this from my family from the North of Italy. (Perhaps the USA and Australia will get a watered down version) at least I bloody hope so!
    Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club

  7. #467
    Senior Member Fortis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,633
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve1 View Post
    I'm in a similar boat. Fiance's Dad spent two months in a coma last year due to complications from a pushbike crash. The reason for riding? His lungs are fucked (probably due to the Vietnam war) and he's on the transplant list and had to maintain a basic level of fitness in order to qualify for the transplant.

    Even though now at home he's still in physical rehab (he's only just started walking more or less independently) they're still going out for brunches and her Mum is still going to the gym. It's almost like she wants to kill him. I don't understand how they can be so complacent.

    On the other hand, I'm perfectly fit and well but I haven't left the house in a week. What's the point? I have everything I need here and figure that staying at home is doing the right thing for me and anybody else I might come into contact with.
    Itís perhaps because theyíve seen hardships and experienced a different life than you did and to them in comparison things donít seem as devastatingly dangerous as they seem to you, it could also come down to the fact that theyíve accepted their own mortality as morbid as that might sound and they are making the best of it.

    Similarly, Iíve watched my best friendís father dying of lung cancer, he continued to smoke until the day he died, right after he got diagnosed, few years before his passing, we begged him to stop, he said what for? Itís giving me pleasure and thatís all Iíve got left.

    Everyone is different and deals with things in their own way.
    300kph+ club

  8. #468
    Senior Member Fil-Ski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor Man View Post
    I am not sure that I agree with this based on the following;

    1) On the 17th of March Italy had circa 26,000 cases and 2,500 deaths. USA now has 26,000 and 300 deaths.

    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

    2) Italy was testing early so that had way more reported cases. USA has no testing so we might already be at 1m people that have it and a very low death rate.

    3) Italians especially in Bergamo got an almost 100% powerful strain direct from one Chinese family who had returned from Wuhan to their house in Bergamo. I know this from my family from the North of Italy. (Perhaps the USA and Australia will get a watered down version) at least I bloody hope so!
    Italy may be a unique situation - let's hope so for everyone sake. The concentration of the virus in the North plus the fact they ran out of hospital beds has resulted in the very high death rate.

    However I still think the USA is in big trouble.

    Lets take NY for example. Population 19.5m. Cases 11k today / 60 deaths. Probably the state that has done the most testing and the best organised.
    Compare that to Australia with a similar Population 24m. Cases 1k / 7 deaths.

    When they start running out of beds and equipment in NY watch the number of deaths skyrocket.

    The numbers don't lie

    Louisiana has 20 deaths from 763 cases.
    Georgia has 20 deaths from 555 cases.

    These poorly run Southern states are in big trouble

  9. #469
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    2,504
    Steven Marshall's just announced the SA borders are closed effective 4pm on Tuesday. Anyone coming in must self-isolate for 14 days.

    Essential services such as freight trucks are exempt.
    Last edited by TJB; 22-03-20 at 03:06 AM.

  10. #470
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by TJB View Post
    Steven Marshall's just announced the SA borders are closed effective 4pm on Tuesday. Essential services such as freight trucks are exempt.
    Who comes to SA anyway
    Tooth hurty

  11. #471
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    From Twitter -

    BREAKING: Victoria and NSW will push for a lockdown of non-essential activities, including businesses. No going to restaurants, no going to pubs.
    Victoria will also push for schools to be shut from Tuesday. If not agreed by National Cabinet tonight, Victoria will go it alone.

    It's hard to overstate the catastrophic effect on the economy this is going to have and on peoples lives, no income etc etc
    Tommy Gunna

  12. #472
    Senior Member Joel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    5,048
    Anyone have a list of essential and non essential services.

  13. #473
    Senior Member Condor Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    From Twitter -

    BREAKING: Victoria and NSW will push for a lockdown of non-essential activities, including businesses. No going to restaurants, no going to pubs.
    Victoria will also push for schools to be shut from Tuesday. If not agreed by National Cabinet tonight, Victoria will go it alone.

    It's hard to overstate the catastrophic effect on the economy this is going to have and on peoples lives, no income etc etc
    Like I said.

    It is an apocalypse....!

    No one really got this. That is until now.
    Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club

  14. #474
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Anyone have a list of essential and non essential services.
    I heard the only things left open will be supermarkets and pharmacies.
    Doctors are treating by phone in some cases and billing over the phone, patients wait in their cars and are phoned when it's their turn rather then wait in the surgery.
    Tommy Gunna

  15. #475

  16. #476
    Senior Member Condor Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    6,877
    Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club

  17. #477
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    17,017
    I think we better prepare for the likelihood that most of us will get this at some stage.
    The ability to deal with it depends on the individual, pre existing illness, age etc.
    Tommy Gunna

  18. #478
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    will the sharemarket still operate when we are in lockdown?
    Tooth hurty

  19. #479
    Senior Member Condor Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    6,877
    Quote Originally Posted by amgsl55 View Post
    will the sharemarket still operate when we are in lockdown?
    Yes all financial services including banking and accountants are considered essential
    Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club

  20. #480
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    11,824
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor Man View Post
    Yes all financial services including banking and accountants are considered essential
    . Accountants essential ?
    Tooth hurty

Page 24 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •