Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

An American couple will escape punishment despite fleeing the state while awaiting coronavirus test results that later proved they were infected with COVID-19.

In a move condemned by authorities as “irresponsible”, the infected pair last week vanished from their Barossa Valley accommodation, despite being quarantined.

Their decision to defy pleas to remain in isolation while sick and contagious has disappointed senior SA Health officials and angered locals.

The couple, who have not been identified, were among a 20-member US tour group sightseeing in Adelaide and the Barossa, during which they visited local wineries. Most of the tour members are now virus-stricken as SA Health investigates possible links to a Lyndoch-based case cluster.

The couple, who have not been identified, were among a 20-member US tour group sightseeing in Adelaide and the Barossa.
    The couple, who have not been identified, were among a 20-member US tour group sightseeing in Adelaide and the Barossa.
    While it remains unclear where the couple travelled to, authorities said because the pair had left South Australia, they would not face charges.

Under state law, anyone found to have intentionally or recklessly caused a “material risk” to public health – and if they can reasonably understand their actions might cause problems for others – face up to five years’ jail, or fines of between $25,000 and $250,000.

In a statement to The Advertiser, the state’s top public health doctor warned that people must follow orders.

“For the safety of the community, patients are instructed to remain in isolation until their COVID-19 results have been communicated to them,” said SA’s Chief Public Health Officer Associate Professor Dr Nicola Spurrier. “No order is placed on an individual unless there is reason to believe they will not abide by the direction.

“We are aware of two individuals tested for COVID-19 who left South Australia prior to their test results returning.

FROM OUR PARTNERS

Kid faves on Nickelodeon Kids Choice Awards 2020 Watch March 22 on Foxtel.

“The action of the individuals was irresponsible. However, given they are no longer in the country, no further action will be taken.”

Sources say that after some of the tourists in the party fell ill and had COVID-19 tests, the couple left despite having not received their results. They were not under guard and are said to have travelled interstate before boarding a flight to their undisclosed home base.

Source - World Health Organization, Johns Hopkins, other media

SA Health would not disclose any further information, including locations, dates or their flights, citing privacy.

While at least 16 of the remaining tour group have tested positive, another two returned negative tests.

Most of the group remain in isolation in their Barossa Valley accommodation, which is not being revealed for security reasons. Complex management declined to comment.

At least two workers have tested positive from the Lyndoch Hill winery, 66km north-east of Adelaide, which is at the centre of a “small cluster” of three cases. Anyone who visited the winery from Saturday last week is urged to quarantine and seek urgent tests.

Dr Spurrier revealed SA Health had received reports of people “not doing the right thing” while investigators had discovered several concerning cases, though she was pleased with the majority of the public: “If you are in quarantine, you must stay (there) … I need to stress the importance of that.”
    Tooth hurty

Quote Originally Posted by amgsl55 View Post
    got a row boat?
    Have an emergency hobi-cat.

its a big deal because our hospitals are running out of PPE
    If it significantly aided in containing the spread in China, then it had a significant positive impact on the rest of the world. All conspiracy theory's aside, China was bent on trying to contain this, they bought the supplies before it even landed on our shores. If the outbreak in Aus was much more aggressive due to less containment in China, then we'd have run out of PPE even with those stocks available.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy@MMRT View Post
    If it significantly aided in containing the spread in China, then it had a significant positive impact on the rest of the world. All conspiracy theory's aside, China was bent on trying to contain this, they bought the supplies before it even landed on our shores. If the outbreak in Aus was much more aggressive due to less containment in China, then we'd have run out of PPE even with those stocks available.
    China manufactures the bulk of the worlds medical PPE. When china went into lockdown all manufacturers were prohibited from exporting medical PPE, it was all kept for local consumption. We had a real hard time getting PPE, our supply companies were rationing the supplies and some companies increased the prices astronomically ( they wont survive once this is over)

And even now, getting PPE is very difficult and extremely expensive.

the government has sourced a large amount of PPE which should hit our shores late March or early April - the source of this PPE is unknown. What they have in emergency reserve is not enough.
    Tooth hurty

the government has sourced a large amount of PPE which should hit our shores late March or early April - the source of this PPE is unknown. What they have in emergency reserve is not enough.
    There's a possibility that will get denied exit from country of origin, "lost in transit", etc. A few countries are doing that with shipments now.

Makes it real obvious why you don't trust other countries to manufacture necessary items, no matter what your relationship with them.

Just paid $41 for 6 facemasks and 3 tiny bottles of hand sanitiser.
    Good to see the capitalist system is still working.
    Tommy Gunna

China manufactures the bulk of the worlds medical PPE. When china went into lockdown all manufacturers were prohibited from exporting medical PPE, it was all kept for local consumption. We had a real hard time getting PPE, our supply companies were rationing the supplies and some companies increased the prices astronomically ( they wont survive once this is over)

And even now, getting PPE is very difficult and extremely expensive.

I bet we fall into the same trap and continue to buy shit from China instead of manufacturing locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil-Ski View Post
    I bet we fall into the same trap and continue to buy shit from China instead of manufacturing locally.
    No doubt about it.
    Tommy Gunna

Quote Originally Posted by Andy@MMRT View Post
    There's not much to take from that. China leveraged their assets to buy the supplies they felt they needed to contain the virus.

If it had said "in October 2019" then that's different. We all knew about the situation in China in February, so I don't see the information as really news worthy.
    A way to avoid this sort of issue though would have been for the Gov to formally request supplies form strategic partners to help quell any potential issues - a bit of a photo op, people shake hands, etc. Now of course would a Gov want to be seen as having to do that? (of course they could claim it might create false hysteria). However, to me anyway there are other ways to do it but it all depends on your end goal... especially now as they are 'visibly' trying to 'help' other countries by providing supplies, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Fil-Ski View Post
    The mighty dollar will rule as always and buyers will source from the cheapest market. Unless Government steps in and manipulates the market with legislation China will continue to manufacture most of our drugs and other essential supplies.
    300kph+ club

Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    Just paid $41 for 6 facemasks and 3 tiny bottles of hand sanitiser.
    Good to see the capitalist system is still working.
    Saw you coming, didn't they..........
    Resident Bogan

Quote Originally Posted by 360c View Post
    The mighty dollar will rule as always and buyers will source from the cheapest market. Unless Government steps in and manipulates the market with legislation China will continue to manufacture most of our drugs and other essential supplies.
    National security comes secondary to keeping the masters happy

Quote Originally Posted by mondi View Post
    Saw you coming, didn't they..........
    Yep they offered to put you on a list for when the stuff arrived, got a text went around and there it was , masks usually dirt cheap and sanitiser never heard of before. probably carries the virus.
    Tommy Gunna

the situation first started mid November wasn't till late december or early Jan that they realised they were dealing with something new. Fortunately they sequenced the DNA very quickly and made it available to others to help with a vaccine.
    Maybe the name should be updated to Covin-19?
    Is it a Bird?? Well, sort of, Yes.... 300kph+ club

So if you have a start-up or new business, you basically don't qualify for any of the govt. support. Its going to be up to the landlord to dictate any support should business slow considerably, which it no-doubt will. Fun times.

The effects of the virus on the economy are showing already.

517B4BAF-F9B8-4896-B4BD-E95CAF7BCCDC.jpg
    Chief Test Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    The effects of the virus on the economy are showing already.

517B4BAF-F9B8-4896-B4BD-E95CAF7BCCDC.jpg
    I saw that car in the city today. I was going to take a photo!

So I just went out for a quick bike ride to get some last exercise before total lock down which I expect may come.

I was flabbergasted to see around 50% of the people out and about going about their daily business being ~60 or older. I mean WTF??? This entire economic shut down is essentially to save the lives of people in that cohort, yet they just ignore rules about staying indoors.

I know I may be making judgement unfairly, but this society really is full of people who are self entitled.

Quote Originally Posted by looney View Post
    So I just went out for a quick bike ride to get some last exercise before total lock down which I expect may come.

I was flabbergasted to see around 50% of the people out and about going about their daily business being ~60 or older. I mean WTF??? This entire economic shut down is essentially to save the lives of people in that cohort, yet they just ignore rules about staying indoors.

I know I may be making judgement unfairly, but this society really is full of people who are self entitled.
    I am quite surprised at how people get mad over the social distancing rules except when they are lining up in coles or jostling to get stuff off the shelf

I must say with the way the situation has developed this week, I feel overwhelmed and you cant go anywhere to unwind.
    Tooth hurty

Page 37 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread Information