Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 98

Thread: Mclaren F1

  1. #1
    Senior Member E7ITE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,697

    Mr JWW gets to spend a week in Rowan Atkinson's ex F1....culminating in the 25th Anniversary F1 owners drive

    [youtube]https://youtu.be/olMDx2qaBR8[/youtube]

    [youtube]https://youtu.be/xq4NT2FBcSU[/youtube]

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,078
    22 F1s at the 25th Anniversary Tour, would be amazing.

  3. #3
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    amzing to see that car driving still considering what its been through

  4. #4
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Photos of it. The one where the car is in half apparently the engine ended up 60m away from the car


    Attachment 413634

    Attachment 413642

  5. #5
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdino View Post
    Photos of it. The one where the car is in half apparently the engine ended up 60m away from the car
    I think 60mtrs might be a bit of an exaggeration. Octane magazine did a feature on the restoration/repair.

    Not many people can say that a divorce cost them a McLaren F1, Mr Bean can.

  6. #6
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdino View Post
    amzing to see that car driving still considering what its been through
    Not all that surprising when you have a car worth 20 million dollars. Any repair short of being burnt to a postage stamped crisp becomes viable. Even then, if it's a Ferrari you can pay (bribe) Classiche to build you a new example out of spares using the same chassis number. Yes, this was done with an Enzo and yes, these folks are in charge of certifying a Ferraris authenticity

  7. #7
    Senior Member E7ITE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,697

    360c: If memory serves me right, at one stage you were considering the only Aus Mac F1? How far away were you from actually pulling the trigger on it?

  8. #8
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by E7ITE View Post
    360c: If memory serves me right, at one stage you were considering the only Aus Mac F1? How far away were you from actually pulling the trigger on it?
    Another "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda" episode for me.
    I very breifly considered trading my F50 and 360 N-GT plus $250k-ish extra cash for the F1; but decided that it was too much risk to have that much money in one car. At the time the F1 didn't have the cult following that it does today and was almost an oddity with values going sideways for years. The market in Oz for million dollar plus cars at that time was also non-existent. Dean Wills traded out of it because the probability of selling it locally was considered remote because of the value.
    It was the right decision at the time; but the value now is about $20 million Oz.

    Of course now my wife who hates expensive cars with a passion now claims (incorrectly) to have advised me to buy it :doh:

  9. #9
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Just out of curiousity is it just the one F1 that resides in Victoria or Australia for that matter. I've never heard of another except for the GTR that sold overseas featured on your Instagram.

  10. #10
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdino View Post
    Just out of curiousity is it just the one F1 that resides in Victoria or Australia for that matter. I've never heard of another except for the GTR that sold overseas featured on your Instagram.

    It is the only F1 left in Oz and the likelihood of it ever being sold would be pretty remote.

    There were very briefly 2 racing F1's in Oz owned by Maranello Motorsport; but they quickly sold back overseas. They were worth less than the normal road F1 at the time.

    Attachment 413714

    Attachment 413722

    Attachment 413738

  11. #11
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by 360c View Post

    It is the only F1 left in Oz and the likelihood of it ever being sold would be pretty remote.

    There were very briefly 2 racing F1's in Oz owned by Maranello Motorsport; but they quickly sold back overseas. They were worth less than the normal road F1 at the time.
    Could never imagine seeing an F1 GTR on the road that would have been surreal. Shame we don't see things like f40s and f50s on the roads much either hate how it is in Australia

  12. #12
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdino View Post
    Could never imagine seeing an F1 GTR on the road that would have been surreal. Shame we don't see things like f40s and f50s on the roads much either hate how it is in Australia
    AFAIK the F1 GTR was never driven on Oz roads. I saw the Oz compliance plate with my own eyes and they had the number plate on it; but it was never registered here. My guess is that it sold back to England before they got around to it.

    There is no reason why you couldn't drive an F50 or an F40 on club rego in Oz now. Unfortunately it was a different story when I had an F50.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,058
    And while we talk about the aus F1, should also be noted that it too has its fair share of dents Pretty sure it was a BMW mechanic that left it like this, in the early 00's.

    Attachment 413754

  14. #14
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Did your F50 sell overseas. And it's just a shame that not many are around melbourne it makes it hard to make a book on Ferraris when your missing key ones like F50, F40 and some classics

  15. #15
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    And while we talk about the aus F1, should also be noted that it too has its fair share of dents Pretty sure it was a BMW mechanic that left it like this, in the early 00's.
    Imagine the feeling after you crash an F1 let alone not yours

  16. #16
    Senior Member 360c's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Bad Lands
    Posts
    21,868
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    And while we talk about the aus F1, should also be noted that it too has its fair share of dents Pretty sure it was a BMW mechanic that left it like this, in the early 00's.
    Yes, probably still the most expensive automotive insurance claim in Australia.

    It was a BMW mechanic that crashed it with 2 mates on board; but it was an authorised test after a service as I recall.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by MRdino View Post
    Did your F50 sell overseas. And it's just a shame that not many are around melbourne it makes it hard to make a book on Ferraris when your missing key ones like F50, F40 and some classics
    Melbourne has a few F40's from memory, this guy would probably be easiest to contact regarding possible shooting one https://www.instagram.com/saintac72/.

  18. #18
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    Melbourne has a few F40's from memory, this guy would probably be easiest to contact regarding possible shooting one https://www.instagram.com/saintac72/.
    Actually just contacted this guy today haven't got a reply yet thought. It's good to have been helped by Ferrari club of Australia who linked me in with a whole bunch of owners around Victoria for help.

  19. #19
    Senior Member MRdino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by JPG View Post
    Melbourne has a few F40's from memory, this guy would probably be easiest to contact regarding possible shooting one https://www.instagram.com/saintac72/.
    We have 7 around I'm pretty sure at least that's what Dutton's told me when I viewed their 2 enzos and another f40 there

  20. #20
    Photo Taker dkabab's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    15,436
    Quote Originally Posted by 360c View Post
    AFAIK the F1 GTR was never driven on Oz roads. I saw the Oz compliance plate with my own eyes and they had the number plate on it; but it was never registered here. My guess is that it sold back to England before they got around to it.

    There is no reason why you couldn't drive an F50 or an F40 on club rego in Oz now. Unfortunately it was a different story when I had an F50.
    16r went to the uk where it stayed for a while, it sold a couple of years ago and was restored back to the FINA livery it once had.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •