Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 997TT on ADV5.1

Well I didnt know you were talking about a 3 piece wheel.

I have never seen a spacer used where you are talking about, but I imagine it would work. Just make sure you get longer bolts.

[QUOTE=ferrarifixer;86898]
    I guess you've answered the question, without understanding it.

But ok, I'll spell it out... (I thought a wheel guy would get this easy)

[quote]
    This guy 'sells rims' i dont really think he fits/works/gets dirty.

OR

It could be due to the fact he never said he was talking about a 3 piece wheel.

OR

The fact that it isnt common/I have never heard of anyone doing a spacer where he is talking about.

Being a "wheel guy" the bottom line is wheels are not designed to have a spacer there. I would never recommend doing this. It hasnt been tested and wheel safety is not somehting I would mess around with. I have installed/sold/taken apart plenty of wheels and not once have i heard someone doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
    OR

OR

The fact that it isnt common/I have never heard of anyone doing a spacer where he is talking about.

Being a "wheel guy" the bottom line is wheels are not designed to have a spacer there. I would never recommend doing this. It hasnt been tested and wheel safety is not somehting I would mess around with. I have installed/sold/taken apart plenty of wheels and not once have i heard someone doing this.
    I'd have to agree on that front. Have never seen anything to move the location of the 'spokes' in relation to the outer rim.

Why even risk is when it's a few grand for properly engineered rims?

Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    question for you...

is it ok/safe/legal to move the offset [size=20pt]of a 3 piece wheel [/size] by using a spacer between the rim sections and the hub section... ie a large ring with all the holes drilled to have longer rim joining bolts used....?

I have a customer that needs to move his wheels in a bit as they stick outside the body, but has no brake caliper clearance....

We need about 15-20 mm.

:doh:

Quote Originally Posted by allanuber View Post
    I'd have to agree on that front. Have never seen anything to move the location of the 'spokes' in relation to the outer rim.

Why even risk is when it's a few grand for properly engineered rims?
    It's usually done by using different inner and outer rims... but these wheels are expensive custom wheels and the rims are almost as expensive as the wheels in entirety.

Many 3 piece wheels actually use an alloy "shim" with a seal fitted both sides, an O ring... All I need is for a similar shim type thing to be about 20mm think....

but I've never seen it done before either, so thought I'd ask someone with more wheel experience than me.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeladdicts View Post
    OR

*cough*

see my very first post on the matter....

*cough*

see my very first post on the matter....
    I did! :doh:
    hence the remark

It's usually done by using different inner and outer rims... but these wheels are expensive custom wheels and the rims are almost as expensive as the wheels in entirety.

Many 3 piece wheels actually use an alloy "shim" with a seal fitted both sides, an O ring... All I need is for a similar shim type thing to be about 20mm think....

but I've never seen it done before either, so thought I'd ask someone with more wheel experience than me.
    Will be interested to see how you go if you do it. Any idea on the brand of Rim? I had ROH Modena 3 piece on the 348 and the guys there were happy to help with changing the wheel patterns to suit that car when initial fit wasn't quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by allanuber View Post
    Will be interested to see how you go if you do it. Any idea on the brand of Rim? I had ROH Modena 3 piece on the 348 and the guys there were happy to help with changing the wheel patterns to suit that car when initial fit wasn't quite right.
    It's not a Ferrari, and the wheels are "WORK" wheels.... Japanese I think... nice but too expensive at any time, never mind when buying from a shark!

Anyway.. I passed him on to my two different wheel gurus I use.... No point me trying too hard.

I'd much rather stay home and go broke! No point working at it :tilt:

Quote Originally Posted by The View Post
    I did! :doh:
    hence the remark
    onya Doc

Thread Information