Thread: Request for advice on importing Nissan GTR from Japan

Greetings all. I'm an Aussie ex-pat currently living in Japan, considering purchasing a 2009 Nissan GTR there with the intention of bringing it back to Australia as a personal import and then hopefully selling it, after owning it for the required 12 months. They sell for roughly $65K in Japan as opposed to $110K or so, on Car Sales. Does anyone have similar experience, or is in a position to provide advice regarding any possible hurdles in doing so? Any comments most welcome.

2009-nissan-gt-r_100185401_m.jpg

Have you had a chat to the guys from IronChef Imports? They were discussing bringing in sub-50 grand GTRs for track use. They should be able to talk you through it, being a personal import. If you want their email let me know, but i'm sure it's not hard to find on the interwebs.

Jap ones are selling here for 80-90 - people won't touch because of the Japanese software afaik.

Don't (unless it's for track use only). You can pick up a JDM MY08 that's already here for $80-90k, and an Australian delivered MY09 for $90-110k. While you may be able to get a cheaper car into the country, you are very unlikely to be able to road register it without a significant cash outlay (taking it up to the prices above, and with an abysmal resale value), and, if you're trying to get an ultra cheap supercar, just wait for your running costs.
    Insurance - >$2k/yr
    Tires - $2k-$4.5k a set
    Servicing - $1-2k/10000kms
    However, they are great cars, and I highly recommend getting one...just not importing one.

How much are NSX's in Japan. Might be a better option

Quote Originally Posted by Fil-Ski View Post
    How much are NSX's in Japan. Might be a better option
    ^^ Much better idea if there are still any on the road there

Quote Originally Posted by darkswan View Post
    Greetings all. I'm an Aussie ex-pat currently living in Japan, considering purchasing a 2009 Nissan GTR there with the intention of bringing it back to Australia as a personal import and then hopefully selling it, after owning it for the required 12 months. They sell for roughly $65K in Japan as opposed to $110K or so, on Car Sales. Does anyone have similar experience, or is in a position to provide advice regarding any possible hurdles in doing so? Any comments most welcome.
    http://www.sau.com.au/forums/forum/8...-r-discussion/
    all info is on there

Rubber King of Adelaide S4Simon's Avatar
    Simple answer then really.

65k to buy + 18k to ship and comply + another 5k for incidentals =

Therefore not worth it.

Plus they're still depreciating. You need to find an exotic that is on the upward trend and very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by S4Simon View Post
    Simple answer then really.

65k to buy + 18k to ship and comply + another 5k for incidentals =

Therefore not worth it.

Plus they're still depreciating. You need to find an exotic that is on the upward trend and very rare.
    I thought Personal Imports didn't have to go through a compliance workshop

Rubber King of Adelaide S4Simon's Avatar
    Not a compliance workshop but still have to pass a compliancing check. I had 5 pages of checks carried out on my car at Regency SA.

Took under 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by LuciakeeTa View Post
    Hey guys looking to buy a r34 gtr as these are becoming older what are some things to look out for ???? I have always had sr20dets but never had any experience with rb engines
    Any type? Spec? Finding one that hasn't been modified might be a challenge

Quote Originally Posted by LuciakeeTa View Post
    Hey guys looking to buy a r34 gtr as these are becoming older what are some things to look out for ???? I have always had sr20dets but never had any experience with rb engines
    Oil control in RB is the biggest issue over SR.

Also if itís still running the stock twins make sure it hasnít run high boost as the ceramic wheels donít like it.

I considered getting a 32 GTR as a track car, but ended up spending a lot less and settled for an S15.

Buying a GTR is one thing... keeping it alive in another

Thread Information