Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
Not too diffficult at all.

Some corners you must always trail brake and other it is not necessary.

You must seriously get your head around the transfer of weight when braking and accelerating. Then consider that through braking the car has more turn in, as the nose is down, if you lift off the brake before turning in, the weight is transferred to the rear of the vehicle, therefore allowing less turn in.

I hope that this helps....
First time I raced at Eastern Creek in anger was in a FWD in the pouring rain. I got to the high speed turn 1 after the first lap doing about 160 and got scared, and backed off (no brake). This was enough the get the weight on the front to an extent that the rear started to come out, and I had the presence of mind the feed in a little throttle, to maintain the drift / slide around the corner now at a mere 140km/h or so and then buried the throttle to straighten the car up again.

The guys on the flagpoint were jumping up and down with thumbs in the air, but I was happy not to have soiled my undies :S

As I developed my driving I found that I could go flat stick around that corner with the right suspension and tyre package, in excess of 200km/h so in a way my first stuff-up taught me a great deal about handing and weight transfer...

Trail breaking is really just a facet of threshold braking... Rally drivers are often sideways, so they can use left foot braking mid-corner to manage both weight transfer and corner speed.

M