PDA

View Full Version : CASTROL Q&A THREAD. POST YOUR CASTROL QUESTIONS HERE!

matespace
22-11-09, 09:28 AM
Please post any questions you have about Castrol lubricants, their global brand and motorsport commitments.

Thanks,

Robert.

CortinaD
22-11-09, 09:57 AM
Hi Robert

Castrol TWS 10w60. Is there any way to get this outside the BMW dealer?

And also, your website used to show that Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 was compatible and then it was removed. Was this a directive of BMW or is there something that isn't compatible with the M engines. I ran the Edge Sport for 5000kms until I saw that it was removed off your site.

matespace
22-11-09, 11:12 AM
Sent the questions to Castrol HQ.

Rob.

matespace
30-11-09, 02:14 PM
Hi Robert

Castrol TWS 10w60. Is there any way to get this outside the BMW dealer?

And also, your website used to show that Castrol Edge Sport 10w60 was compatible and then it was removed. Was this a directive of BMW or is there something that isn't compatible with the M engines. I ran the Edge Sport for 5000kms until I saw that it was removed off your site.

TWS 10W-60 is only sold through the dealer network.

It is specifically formulated to meet the requirements of the BMW M series.

Due to being so unique in its application it does meet the Stock turn requirements of a retailer.

In terms of EDGE 10W-60, with the previous upgrade in formulation the BMW spec was removed.

Rob. ( info from Castrol head techies)

matespace
21-12-09, 10:39 AM
Answers to some of the Castrol inquiries.

I know we cant offer instant Technical answers, but if you need to discuss something in depth or need to know now, please contact the tech support line. Details in other thread.

Cheers
Rob.

1.Where are Castrol oils manufactured?
What has becoming part of the BP Group provided? Is Castrol now partly owned by BP?
& does that mean BP no longer makes their own oils?

The majority of products are manufactured in Australia. We also manufacture in Malaysia. Some finished products are imported from Germany and Japan. Castrol is wholly owned by BP. BP continue to manufacture their own lubricants mainly for commercial use.

2. Is the 25-50 a 'fully' synthetic like the 0-40 and 10-60??
or is it semi or mineral. Couldnt find this on the website anywhere.
cheers big ears.

Castrol EDGE Sport 25W-50 is a mineral oil. All other Castrol EDGE viscosities are synthetic.

4. any 10W-30?

Castrol GTX Modern Engine 10W-30

5. I've been using Magnatec 10W40 Diesel in my 3.0L and now 4.2 Patrol for years, and very happy with it. Why the change to 15W40?

Magnatec Diesel has only ever been available in a 15W-40. Were you using Magnatec 10W-40 perhaps? For more info log on to cPanel? (http://www.castrolmagnatec.com.au)

6. I would like to know if you can send me over some Castrol Transmax Z, or if you know of a company that will. Castrol NZ only appear to sell it in 20L drums, is this correct? Am i able to order in the 4L bottle of it through a castrol outfit, from Aussie? Cheers.

Best bet would be to contact the NZ offices on 64 9 639 0000

matespace
12-01-10, 02:31 PM
Some more Castrol answers back for various forums. Interesting read.

JDMST
1. Im wondering whats the best oil that i should use. Ive got a Nissan 1992 S13 silvia SR20DE with 160k's on the odo. From what ive read in the other thread and been told from people, using an oil with a thicker viscosity is better for the motor and also using non fully synthetic is best.
For your engine, our Edge synthetic range will be best.
Which one will depend on the vehicle?s use.
In normal road use, Edge Sport 0W/40 would be ideal.
If you are performing track work, including drifting, the 10W/60 will be preferred, especially if no oil cooler is fitted.

Fordmods
1. Why does Castrol recommend such (what appears to be anyways) a thick oil for the FPV F6 engines. The recommendation is the Edge Sport 10W-60. Everyone seems surprised (even Ford) that such a viscosity is recommended. Surely at this level of thickness, it would be to the detriment of fuel economy and possibly turbo life.
Yes I do use this oil in my car... I was more wondering the reasoning behind it considering all other models use a much thinner oil, such as the XR6 Turbo which is essentially the same engine, but recommends the use of a semi-synth 10W/40 or 5W/30?
The F6s are a higher output engine. Being a performance vehicle, the possibility exists that track work might also be done.
The Edge Sport 10W/60 will give that engine more protection under spirited driving.

4. What products suit a 4 stroke ride on lawnmower?
Castrol 4T

AE86
1. Convert me from Penrite. Also, I will be rebuilding my engine, do yous sell a run in oil? Engine is a 22re
Castrol does not do a running-in oil.
The suggestion will be is to use a mineral oil (without any friction modifiers) to allow the engine to bed in properly.
After the bedding in period (3-5 000 kms) depending on what rebuilt has taken place, you may them move to synthetics like Edge Sport 0W/40 or 10W/60.

2. Do you have anything like this:
https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...duct_Guide.pdf (http://"https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...duct_Guide.pdf")?
Oil specifications can be obtained from our Technical Data Sheets available online Castrol (http://"http://www.tds.castrol.com.au")
We also supply a guide that matches the recommended oil to your vehicle. guide (http://"http://www.datateck.com.au/lube/castr_au/default.asp?categoryId=8000001")

opelaus
1. Could you please advise which engine oil products meet specification GM-LL-A-025?
Castrol SLX Professional LongTec.
This is available in Australia in 20L & 209L containers.

2. I have been using sogui s 6000, and am very disappointed with it for the price. It looked 'dirty' at 3000km, other oils i haved used havent looked 'dirty' till 8 or 9000km what would you recommend instead?
Would like to know the make & model of vehicle in question.
Some details like mileage & running conditions will assist in making the best recommendation for you.

3. Do you sell a 10w-40 grade oil? (other member posted link to info) Just wanted to know if you have edge in that viscosity, not really interested in magnatec.
Edge Sport 0W/40 is the only SAE 40 engine oil that we have.
It has the same SAE 40 rating that you are after, with a much better cold cranking viscosity of 0W compared to 10W.
Magnatec ( a semi-synthetic product) fits your requirement of 10W/40.
Is there a reasoning why you have not considered Magnatec??

5. is using castrol edge 0w-40 a bit over the top for a N/A 1.8ltr VVT engine? (note it does see some high revs alot!)
I think you have answered your own question.
A high revving engine requires an oil that can cope with these extreme running conditions.
Another cost effective option is to use Magnatec (semi-synthetic 10W/40).
We would really want to know more vehicle details to make the best recommendation.

6. What would you reccomend for my 1.4 corsa as its nerly time for the 60k service
Here in Australia the Corsa is known as the Holden Barina.
Castrol Edge Sport 0W/40 or Castrol Magnatec would be our recommendation.

7. I have been using Castrol Edge 0W-40 for all my previous cars. I currently use 5W-30 for my 1995 Calibra Turbo because of the explicit statement "been tested to withstand scorching turbo temperature". I personally prefer 0W-40, as my experience has been great (less noisy, feels lighter etc), and I assume older cars prefer slightly thicker oil anyway. QUESTION: Is the 0W-40 really "not as good as" 5W-30 when it comes to turbo engines? I want to start using 0W-40 again, but the last thing i want to happen is the more expensive oil is stuffed because of the turbo temp.
Edge Sport 0W/40 is every bit as good as the 5W/30.
Both are high performance synthetic oils with differences in viscosity and formal approvals.
I see no reason why the Edge Sport 0W/40 will not work as well as the 5W/30 in the Calibra turbo.

aus jeep offroad
1. do you have a synthetic gear oil (75-90 i think )suitable for 2001 tj wrangler gearbox (nv3550)
The GL5 75W/90 specification is related to the 5 speed AX5 transmission.
For the 5 speed MV3550, Chrysler Jeep has specified the you ONLY use ?Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant Part No. 4761526?, 2.3 litres.
Therefore refer back to your dealer for this oil.

4x4 forum
1. Ok what I would like to know is the oil I have been using for the last 25 years is apparently not getting imported anymore so what I want to know is what can you suggest as an alternative oil and why, does Castrol have something similar to Penzoil 15W-40 Multi Vis. I along with a lot on this Forum use Penzoil for their cars, could you also advise me if it is true about the importing of said Products.
The Pennzoil product is a mineral 15W/40 engine oil meeting API SL/CF.
Castrol GTX 3 15W/40 is our mineral oil meeting a higher performance specification of API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3.

3. Can you provide technical data reflecting how many km in a small diesel before the oil starts to break down? This will indicate the time frame needed between oil changes? Small diesel being the ones in our 4x4's for a specfic example maybe use Patrol TD42 Engine. And the ZD30 engines too please. Can you do it for Petrol too. Also an oil comparison between Castrol to other brands like Penrite - Pros and cons
Manufacturers handbooks specify oil change periods for each vehicle/engine type. Extending these oil change periods can lead to accelerated engine wear/valve train wear and reduced engine life. My boss uses Castrol Magnatec in his TD 42 at 5000kms service intervals.

6. Used to be a castrol GTX with the old minis and somewhere along the line I changed over to penrite ( the only suspect one they made was the LPG
one) , what would be a reason to change back ?
Castrol produces one of the highest quality ranges on engine oils.
It is also the first to update oils to the newest & latest specifications,
whether they be American (API), European (ACEA) or Japanese (JASO).
We also have technical advice on-line at www.castrol.com.au or via a team of helpful technical advisors on ph 1300 557 998, Monday to Friday.

Prelude Australia
1. which grade of castrol oil is recomended for a 93 prelude that just hit 200,000kms?
Typically a SAE 40 engine oil (ideally Magnatec or GTX 3 15W/40) or a
SAE 50 oil (GTX2 20W/50 or Edge Sport 10W/60) would be recommended.

2. What gearbox oil do you recommend for a 10yrs old box with an lsd? Obviously for a front wheel drive. I'm unsure about the VMX 80.
The additive pack we use in Castrol VMX 80 would be fine for the a combined gearbox/fwd lsd setup.

Supra forums
1. somone on here has said that the edge range isnt a true sythetic, and some people have had sludge build up, is there any truth to that or is it all hear say?
Edge Sport 5W/30, 0W/40 & 10W/60 are full synthetic oils.
Sludge build-up is usually a result of poor servicing/extended drain intervals, not as a result of base oil type..

2. I found this info on another forum a while back while looking into oils-
"Why are some Synthetic oils more expensive than others?"
"Comes down to the base stocks the oil is made up from and how "diluted" it is.
Castol Edge last time I checked was a hydrocracked oil, also known as group 3 or "fake synthetic".
Mobil 1 is a polyalphaolefin (PAO) based synthetic oil, also known as group 4 or "poor mans synthetic oil" due to it being man made. Stuff like the Motul 300V someone posted above is a polyolester/ester (POE) based synthetic oil, also known as a group 5 oil or "the best you can buy/suitable for jet engines". This stuff costs a fortune, but its still what I exclusively use in my high performance motors. The GTR used to cost me $300 in oil per change every 5000kms.I dont know what Mobil 1 is like these days but it used to be absolute rubbish and break down very easily at moderate temperatures. This lead to many a failed engines, however this was in RB26DETT's, 2JZ-GTE's etc so probably completely unrelated to your question."
There is no such thing as the best oil.
The Castrol Edge range is formulated with different base oils to give the best results for the different engines each has been designed for.
You cannot judge the performance of an engine oil by its base stock.
Edge Sport 25W/50 is a mineral oil based on Grp II base stock, as it has been designed for older & larger 2-valve pushrod engines with roller rockers. Synthetics, like Grp IV base oils, do not build up a good film on roller rockers as well as a mineral oil, where valve train forces are very high.
Edge Sport 0W/40 & 10W/60 are synthetic Grp IV products and designed for engines with sliding valve trains or 4 valves or more per cylinder with roller rockers, where valve train loads are lighter than the 2 valve engines and where engine speeds are higher.
Edge Sport 5W/30 is a happy medium utilizing Grp III (HVI) base oils, which provide virtually all of the benefits of Grp IV but at a slightly lower cost.
Whatever works for a jet engine does NOT necessarily work for a car engine, even if it makes a good storyline.

3. Hi there, I have just started running your 10w-60 in my jza80 supra NA-T(urbo). It is primarily a "weekends only" street car that is driven once or twice a month and with a few track days thrown in for good measure. I have typically changed my oil every 5000kms and the oil filter every 10000kms when using mineral oil. What would you suggest is a good interval for changing the 10w-60? Its $100 a bottle here so I want to make sure im not throwing money down the drain so to speak, by draining it too early.
I figured getting the answers straight from the horses mouth would be the best idea.
Extending the oil out further & further to save money could end up in disaster. Draining it earlier is better than draining it too late.
Under more arduous/severe running conditions like you are performing,
more frequent service intervals would always be recommended.
Go with 5 000 km OR 6 months whichever comes first.
The extra money spent upfront will gain you longer engine life, which in turn will save you more money if the long run.

matespace
05-02-10, 10:21 AM
More questions back from different forums.

TECHNICAL QUESTIONS FROM THE FORUMS:

Antilag:

Which Castrol engine oil should I use with Ethanol or E85 fuels? I?m currently running Castrol R - 10w-60.

Fuel trials carried out overseas have indicated no reason to change any of our current formulations/products.
Also V8 Supercars in 2009 ran E85 and there was not change to the oils supplied to our sponsored vehicles

Australian Speedway:

Will Castrol release a range of racing oils with the zinc additive that they've removed? Castrol are losing a lot of sales to Joe Gibbs and Brad Penn.
I don?t understand why you believe that we have removed the zinc additive from our engine oils because we haven?t. Our zinc additives have improved over the years and their concentration hasn?t reduced in the majority of our oils.
Be careful when comparing Castrol oils with others especially from the USA. USA formulations that meet API SM may also meet ILSAC GF4 (a fuel efficiency spec with chemical limits for additives like Zinc & Phosphorus). Even though our products meet API SM, most exceed the chemical limits required for ILSAC GF4. Our Edge Sport 25W/50 still has Zinc levels in excess of 1000 ppm.
What is the best Castrol oil to run in a car type engine running methanol?
Edge Sport 25W/50

Aus Jeep Offroad:
What gear oil would you recommend for use in diffs with ARB diff lockers that are mostly used on road, but when off-road they work pretty hard?
ARB diff lockers do not require the use of specific type lubricants. As such, you should use the diff oil recommended for your vehicles normal diff before fitting the air locker.
If however a LSD oil is specified by your manufacturer, then a non-LSD oil equivalent would also be suitable. In the case of LSX 90, use EPX 80W/90. In the case of LSX 85W/140, use EPX 85W/140.
If a synthetic oil is specified (like in many Jeeps), then a synthetic oil should be used.

Australia4WD:

I'm a bit confused; the online lube guide recommends GTX3 or Magnetic for my DMax. Why not GTX DIESEL? Double checked the rodeo and Colorado and all the same... The service guide also has 10,000kms oil changes - is there a benefit in a modern diesel of reducing to 5000kms?
All 3 oils meet the oils specs for that 4JJ1-tc engine fitted to those vehicles. So, GTX Diesel is equally suitable.
More regular servicing on any engine should essentially extend engine life. Soot produced by burning diesel fuel is an abrasive by-product that contributes to engine wear. Replacing the oil more often will reduce soot build-up related engine wear. It is particularly important to change the oil more often if you have been doing long 4WD work.

Fordmods:

Does Castrol offer a supercharger oil suitable for M90/112 as fitted to super6 commodores and TRD Aurions? If so, who in Perth WA would be distributing it?
Unfortunately Holden nor Toyota publish generic oil specs for the superchargers, so we are unable to offer an equivqlent. However Syntrans 75W/85 has proven quite good in racing applications.
I have religiously used Magnatec in my Ford (and Holdens) over the years. Prior to each change I normally run Nulon Engine Oil flush to thin the oil out and clean the engine free of gunk. Would this affect the Magnatec properties at all with protection to my engine?
When a quality oil is used and it is changed in accordance with the car manufacturers recommended service periods, we do not see a need for an engine flush. That is why we do not retail such products.
Provided the oil filter is changed after the flush, there is only a small amount of residue in the engine, we would not expect Magnatec?s protective properties to be affected.

Fullboost:

Does Castrol produce any non-API motorsport/offroad specific racing motor oils with high Zinc content?
Castrol has not dropped the level of zinc in our oils.
The majority if Castrol engine oils still contain relatively high levels of zinc. Edge Sport 25W/50 & 10W/60 have high levels of zinc suitable for older high performance cams & flat tappets. If you are running a V8 with 2 valve per cylinder & roller followers OR tappets, Edge Sport 25W/50 should be used.

JDMST:

I have been using Edge 0w-40 in my Golf GTI but it's been burning some oil and after a few top ups I went out. I have a spare bottle of 5w30 sitting in my garage and I just wonder if it?s ok if I use this to top up say <1L?
Firstly, what year & engine does the Golf have.
Secondly, Edge 0W/40 is no longer available. It has been replaced by Edge Sport 0W/40 for most models.
Thirdly, additions of a thinner oil, like 5W/30, could possibly contribute to further oil consumption, depending on how much is added.

Whats the best oil for Honda type s dc5.
Assuming your engine is in good condition, Edge Sport 5W/30, 0W/40 or Magnatec should be suitable. If your engine uses much oil, we may recommend a heavier grade.

Opelaus:

Is the 0W-40 really "not as good as" 5W-30 when it comes to turbo engines? I want to start using 0W-40 again, but the last thing I want to happen is the more expensive oil is stuffed because of the turbo temp.
Edge Sport 0W/40 offers superior performance to Edge Sport 5W/30 in all applications and especially in turbos.
I have been using Castrol Edge 0W-40 for all my previous cars. I currently use 5W-30 for my 1995 Calibra Turbo because of the explicit statement "been tested to withstand scorching turbo temperature". I personally prefer 0W-40, as my experience has been great (less noisy, feels lighter etc), and I assume older cars prefer slightly thicker oil anyway. QUESTION: Is the 0W-40 really "not as good as" 5W-30 when it comes to turbo engines? I want to start using 0W-40 again, but the last thing i want to happen is the more expensive oil is stuffed because of the turbo temp.

Edge Sport 0W/40 is every bit as good as the 5W/30.
Both are high performance synthetic oils with differences in viscosity and formal approvals.
I see no reason why the Edge Sport 0W/40 will not work as well as the 5W/30 in the Calibra turbo.

I have been using sogui s 6000, and am very disappointed with it for the price. It looked 'dirty' at 3000km, other oils I have used haven?t looked 'dirty' till 8 or 9000km what would you recommend instead? (1995 Holden calibre - car has 130,000km)

Edge Sport 0W/40 for a standard engine used on the road OR Edge Sport 10W/60 if the engine has been modified for track work or high speed driving.

SupraForum:

I have just started running your 10w-60 in my jza80 supra NA-T(turbo). It is primarily a "weekends only" street car that is driven once or twice a month and with a few track days thrown in for good measure. I have typically changed my oil every 5000kms and the oil filter every 10000kms when using mineral oil. What would you suggest is a good interval for changing the 10w-60? Its $100 a bottle here so I want to make sure I?m not throwing money down the drain so to speak, by draining it too early.

I'd like to see a comparison between 300v (what I use in my car) and Edge (what I used to use in my old cars)
Firstly, what type of comparison are you after? Wear rates, dyno horsepower, fuel consumption, ???etc. Are you aware of the costs of such tests?
Secondly, comparing 2 different oil in 2 different cars is meaningless. Not sure what comparisons can be made here.
Thirdly, which of the 4 Edge variants are you enquiring about? None of them are ester based oils like the Motul product.

Pulsar:

Why dont you make a Full Synthetic 10W-40 oil?? I have used your 10W-60 before and my car did not like it as it was too thick I put 10W-40 back into it and it was much better.
Edge Sport 0W/40 is the only SAE 40 engine oil that we have.
It has the same SAE 40 rating that you are after, with a much better cold cranking viscosity of 0W compared to 10W.
Magnatec ( a semi-synthetic product) fits your requirement of 10W/40.
Is there a reasoning why you have not considered Magnatec??

What temp does the Edge 0W-40 break down at? and also what temp does the 10W-60 break down at?

For both oils, a continuous temperature in excess of 120 oC will increase the rate of oil oxidation, leading to oil thickening & loss of film strength.

Prelude:

I was wondering if you could recommend an oil for breaking in a brand new engine? Are there any reasons why I would go for a specific grade of oil for this process? The engine is a 10:1 compression 2.3 litre turbo.
Mineral oils are recommended for running in new engines.
Would recommend Castrol GTX 3 15W/40.
What oil is best for the H22a ? I am using Honda FEO oil for it now but its getting low and I need a oil change, what?s a better oil to use?
Edge Sport 0W/40 or Magnatec would be suitable.

Is 5w-30 EDGE ok to use in a h22a4 with 200,000+ km? 10w-40 synthetic has been good for the last few months but I?m afraid I?ll burn the 5w-30 too fast.
Depending on engine condition & service history, the Edge Sport 5W/30 might be a little thin. However I would expect little if any change using Edge Sport 5W/30 compared to Magnatec 10W/40.

matespace
05-05-10, 11:39 AM
Some good questions of the press;

Fordmods:
Q. What should I use ford my 95 Fairmont 5.0 V8? It?s done 320xxxkms approx and it looks like it hasn?t been serviced for at least 50,000kms . . . Should it be the edge sport 25w/50?
Yes, use Edge Sport 25W/50.
Also, 1 or 2 short drain intervals would be beneficial.

Datnet:
Q. 1967 1/2 datsun sport 1600 fairlady. What type of oil should I be using? I've bought some Nulon 100% synthetic 10W40. Plus some engine clean to use first. The oil filter was easier; I just turned it around and read the number so I have the same type. Z68
Edge Sport 0W/40 OR Magnatec 10W/40 for street work OR Edge Sport 10W/60 for track work.

Aus Rotary:
Q. Just wondering if there is anywhere I can buy Castrol edge 10w60 in 10 or 20Lt containers?
Will it be cheaper if I purchase it that way? Castrol EDGE 10W-60 is available in a 20L but this is usually only supplied to workshop customers. Can you tell me where you are located? We might be able to source a retailer that stocks these large drums.

OzMazda:
Q. Can I mix the different edge sports to produce my desired viscosity?
In the Edge range, 3 of the oils are synthetic (0W/40, 5W/30 & 10W/60) and 1 is mineral (25W/50).
Even though the products are compatible, I have some concerns:
a. What viscosity are you trying to achieve, that the current range will not cover?
b. How would you accurately replicate this each time? Remember viscosity is a measure of flow at a standard specified temperature. How can you control both viscosity parameters without sophisticated equipment ?
c. Each product has different performance specifications (see back of each pack), which are met with different ?additive packs?/formulations.
Blending products does not guarantee meeting the same approved performance specifications of each oil.
d. Castrol will not warrant an oils? performance if it has been modified in any way.
e. You have not indicated any vehicle/engine/application details.

Cheers,

Rob

raywarren
21-03-11, 08:36 AM
Hi .. The castrol website shows Transmax E as the correct oil for 08 Kia Sorento2.5 diesel 5 speed auto Gear box. Kia insist that Apolloil Red-1 ATF also known as Kia Red is the only oil suitable and that use of any other oils will cause gearbox damage. Warranty will also be void if recommended oil is not used. I suspect the ridiculous price they are charging for the oil is why they will not recognise other oils as suitable... Can you please check this one out for the many Sorento owners who are looking for an alternative oil..

Many Thanks Ray...