Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 58 of 58

Thread: Mechanical Aptitude Test

  1. #41
    Guest
    ok.. point made and agreed then...

    it's a bad question with several technically correct answers... there was no place to prioritise your answer... just "what causes?"

  2. #42
    Guest
    another similar example...

    on my truck drving test recently.. this was the only one I got wrong...

    Question..

    Rocks and mud stuck between dual wheels will cause..

    a) Possible deflation of a tyre
    b) Damage to the drive train
    c) An inbalanced wheel
    d) Loss of control

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    another similar example...

    on my truck drving test recently.. this was the only one I got wrong...

    Question..

    Rocks and mud stuck between dual wheels will cause..

    a) Possible deflation of a tyre
    b) Damage to the drive train
    c) An inbalanced wheel
    d) Loss of control
    Answer - yes

  4. #44
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VMax View Post
    Answer - yes
    yes, BUT... which is they answer they are looking for...?

  5. #45
    Senior Member AshSimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    yes, BUT... which is they answer they are looking for...?
    The only one with the word "possible" prepended as the others aren't a certainty.

  6. #46
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ashsimmonds View Post
    The only one with the word "possible" prepended as the others aren't a certainty.
    maybe, but wrong in this instance...

    the answer they were looking for, was Inbalanced wheel..

    I put possible deflation too...

    And then on the driving test, the instructor told me to turn left at the end of the road... I was on the right of a solid white line so waited (about 10 seconds) till it was broken before changing lanes... he marked me down for lane discipline hesitancy..

    But I got 96.1% overall

    edit... I guess that makes me a better truck driver than I am a mechanic... #sigh#

  7. #47
    Senior Member AshSimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    the answer they were looking for, was Inbalanced wheel..
    You can't be sure of that though, and then there are infinite levels of imbalance between balanced and what you can feel. But what if the debris was perfectly balanced between them?

    I'd be annoyed at getting that "wrong".

    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    edit... I guess that makes me a better truck driver than I am a mechanic... #sigh#
    LOL - I'll send you a flanny shirt.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    edit... I guess that makes me a better truck driver than I am a mechanic... #sigh#
    Daytona shopping then?

  9. #49
    Guest
    exactly... what if I got a load of others wrong too.. but just that ONE made me fail...

    (none of SD cars at the rally for starters!)

    flanny shirt, sans sleeves please


  10. #50
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by VMax View Post
    Daytona shopping then?
    happily, but never as my only Ferrari. I've had some incredible experiences in Daytonas... life changers...

    a midnight-dawn run in a full LM racer while running in engine/gearbox pre race was one of my faves.....

    Attachment 3763

  11. #51
    Senior Member AshSimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    happily, but never as my only Ferrari. I've had some incredible experiences in Daytonas... life changers...
    My couple hours in IanB's were pretty much as good as you can get - an hour or so of Snowy Mountains roads followed by an hour or so of open roads with 100mph sweepers, just magic!

  12. #52
    Guest
    ^ see edit

  13. #53
    Senior Member AshSimmonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    28,024
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrarifixer View Post
    ^ see edit
    Wow! That reminds me of...



    Attachment 3765

  14. #54
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ashsimmonds View Post
    Wow! That reminds me of...

    ha ha... I wouldn't admit to ever being in a truck stop with memories....

    #shudder#

  15. #55
    The Best in the World. Aircon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    19,695
    carl got 92%

  16. #56
    Senior Member 308GTSqv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Simon View Post
    80% Passed with flying colours - What do I win.

    Maybe I should stick with my profession of military Fibre Optic Guidance Systems - seems so much more simple. :scratchchin:
    interesting Simon, which aircraft ?

    ARDU ?

  17. #57
    Rubber King of Adelaide S4Simon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    On the Beach
    Posts
    1,663
    which aircraft ?
    I worked for Northrop Grumman as a Guidance System Field Engineer in Europe and the Middle East for 9 years. Specialised in Laser and Fibre optic Guidance systems for civil and military. Also helped develop the A380 guidance system. Aircraft wise - all the boring stuff, All the Airbus civil family + Boeing civil and on the military side only large transport / refuellers. Prior to that I was the guidance system specialist in the RAAF (hence being poached by NG). Now I live the easy life back in Adelaide selling boats and rubber bits for the old man. :-)

    BTW - Saw a lovely 308 last night just around the corner from my place.

  18. #58
    Senior Member 308GTSqv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by S4Simon View Post
    I worked for Northrop Grumman as a Guidance System Field Engineer in Europe and the Middle East for 9 years. Specialised in Laser and Fibre optic Guidance systems for civil and military. Also helped develop the A380 guidance system. Aircraft wise - all the boring stuff, All the Airbus civil family + Boeing civil and on the military side only large transport / refuellers. Prior to that I was the guidance system specialist in the RAAF (hence being poached by NG). Now I live the easy life back in Adelaide selling boats and rubber bits for the old man. :-)

    BTW - Saw a lovely 308 last night just around the corner from my place.
    ah, ok, thought that since you were in SA you may be part of the ARDU unit.

    Had a couple of mates work there 20 years ago who were instrument fitters and they work on all the weapons guidance systems.

    I was F-111C oriented with all the on-board avionics and radio/radar systems, the only person cross-trained on radio from instruments as an experiment preceeding the new designation for avionics specialists.

    308s are so slow, they all need supercharging

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •